Christ Church Windows
Christ Church is blessed with a number of wonderful stained glass windows. We have windows in the Church, in the Chapel, and in the Parish Hall. The following is a description of the windows along with a bit of information about their meaning and content, and their donors.
The Church Windows
At the rear of the Church, facing west above the balcony
The Rose Window (which used to hang over the north door in old Christ Church downtown on Farrugut and Davis Streets.) It was originally given by Bishop Robert W.B. Elliott, (Missionary Bishop of Western Texas from 1874 – 1887.) Several years after it had been installed. This window was badly damaged in a severe hail storm. In 1915, the Rev. C.W. Cook, rector at the time, with the assistance of his brother, Ralph Cook, of Syracuse, New York and Mr. Leonard Nelson, a staunch member of Christ Church Parish, rebuilt the rose window. They used pieces of the original glass, which had been stored for several years in the basement of the church. Since some of the original glass had been too badly shattered to use, other pieces of colored glass were cut and fitted onto the design. After several months work. The window was completed and placed in its proper location.
This same window, which represents so much of the life of Christ Church. has been refurbished, enlarged. and installed in our current building. The window is a Star of David, symbol of the Jewish origins of our faith, and the cross, symbol of Jesus as Savior and Messiah.
Given by Mr. and Mrs. James Richter, Jr. It shall testify to that ''great cloud of witnesses” that encompass us in His Presence.
The Entry Way Windows use official seals to teach who we are and from whence we have come: (from south to north)
The prime see City of the Church of England. The first Anglican missionaries came from the Church of England, sometimes as chaplains to colonizing companies as in Virginia - sometimes under the sponsorship of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts and other mission societies.
Given by Mrs. Ralph Barry in memory of William and Carrie Brennan.
The prime see City of the Church of Scotland who gave us our first bishop after the revolution. The Church of England bishops could not consecrate Samuel Seabury without an oath of allegiance to the King - which the new bishop could not give. The Bishops in Scotland consecrated him asking him to include in our Prayer book the longer prayer of consecration from the Scottish Eucharist. (The Bishop in the image is St. Nicolas who was patron saint of the port of Aberdeen. The three children in the caldron are part of a medieval legend, where Nicolas restored three children or young men who had been cooked by an innkeeper to life.)
Given by Mr. & Mrs. Bob Shirey in Thanksgiving for Ruby Mae Shirey
The Episcopal Church, USA –
The shield shows our heritage. The large center cross is the Cross of St. George, the patron faint of England. The small cross formed by the several crosses is the Cross of St. Andrew, the Patron saint of Scotland. The several crosses represent the founding diocese.
Given in loving thanksgiving - Dr. & Mrs. William H. Brown, Jr., Keith. Michael, Matthew & Elizabeth
The Diocesan Seal of the Diocese of West Texas –
The star indicates Texas, “the Lone Star State”. The Alamo indicates the See City. The figures indicate the first parishes – St. Mark’s, San Antonio and St. Mark’s, Indianola.
Given by Mrs. Ralph Barry in memory of Ralph Barry