News and Upcoming Events
1) Bishop Reed will have to reschedule his visit to us. Darlene Turner, the wife of Tom Turner, the priest in Alice passed away very unexpectedly this past weekend. The bishop will be going to Alice this Sunday, September 15. Please keep Father Turner, and Church of the Advent in your prayers.
2) In other diocesan news the diocese our Suffragan Bishop, Jennifer Brooke Davidson has accepted a call to be an assisting bishop in the Diocese of Virginia. So please keep both our Bishops in your prayers. If you would like more information both Bishop’s letters are posted at the end of this email.
3) Great news about our facility! Our bell tower has been secured and raised slightly. We will be waiting for several months to make sure it is completely stable before we tackle some other repair to the brick work between the church, tower and chapel. While we are not done yet, and there are some costs we don’t know yet, it looks like the total cost for the bell tower will be much less than the original projection. This means that while we still have a long way to go in our five year campaign, some of the other projects can take place sooner! Alleluia!
4) We will be reaching out to all of you about our 2020 Stewardship in several ways later this month and next month. We will have a parish “ingathering” on Sunday November 3rd.
5) October 4 is St. Francis day. This year we have Blessing of the Animals on Sunday, October 6th during the 11 a.m. service. Stay tuned for further details!
All wet or all in? September 8, 2019
Alleluia! It is raining! In South Texas and Northern Mexico. While we pray for the folks in the Bahamas who have received far too much rain we give thanks for in our part of the world we badly need it!
At church this Sunday water gets top billing when we baptize a brand new Christian! May this baptism remind all of us of the free gift of new life we get from God.
And may watching a baptism may we be reminded that God wants us not just all wet, but all in. Let's make a complete commitment, or re-commitment to Christ.
Sunday, September 15, 2019
Bishop Reed at Christ Church! - Please join us as our Bishop preaches and joins us at all three Sunday Services, 8, 9, and 11 a.m.
David married Patricia Ann "Patti" (Kopec) on June 18, 1988, and they have two children.
He served as Rector of St. Alban's in Harlingen prior to becoming a bishop.
He was elected Bishop Suffragan for the Diocese of West Texas in a special council at TMI – The Episcopal School of Texas in San Antonio, on March 25, 2006, and was consecrated in St. Luke’s Church, San Antonio, on August 26, 2006. He is the 14th bishop to serve in West Texas (the fifth suffragan) and 1,005 in the American Succession.
Reed was elected Bishop Coadjutor for the Diocese of West Texas in a special council at TMI - The Episcopal School of Texas in San Antonio, on October 25, 2014. He was officially invested as the tenth Bishop of the Diocese of West Texas on June 3, 2017, during a service held at TMI - The Episcopal School of Texas.
Blessing of the animals on Sunday, October 6th at the 11:00 a.m. service
The details and logistics are still in the works, but next month we will have a blessing of the animals in conjuction with our main service. Let all that has breath praise the Lord! (Psalm 150, verse 6)
We will also have a parish luncheon that day, so plan to join us for food, fun, and fellowship!
GET READY FOR YOUR FALL CLEAN OUT...WE WILL HAVE OUR CHRIST CHURCH RUMMAGE SALE ON NOVEMBER 8-10 AND WE CAN USE YOUR STUFF!! GOOD STUFF THAT IS!
From our Pastor and Church Secretary